Have you made your travel arrangements to go home for the Holidays yet? Being college-aged, or a young twenty-something comes with a lot of natural anxieties and fears. There are new bills to pay, cars to fix, people to meet, meals to cook, and decisions to make. With all these changes come questions. Questions you ask yourself about where to go, what to eat, to work out or not… the list goes on. There are also the ever “loving” questions that your relatives ask you. In a few weeks, you’ll most likely be berated with most of these. Here are a few typical queries that can help you get ready!
- “What are you doing for a living?” You’ll explain and repeat yourself at least five times before they pass the pumpkin pie.
- “How much do you make?” This is plain rude if it comes from your brother, but if it’s coming from an elderly relative, they probably want to make sure you’re doing ok.
- “Are you dating anyone?” How do you tell your conservative grandma you’re dating Mr. Liberal? Or vice versa.
- “You look thin. Are you eating?” Yes, Mom.
- “Hmmmm looks like you need to lose a few.” Thanks, Mom.
- “As soon as that car breaks down, call me.” This one is a zinger but also awesome. On one hand they’re calling your car a piece of junk, but they also have your back. Just eat some humble pie and appreciate the heck out of them.
- “Do you have enough friends?” Well no, I do have a career though….*cries on the inside, but keeps smiling*
- “When you have kids…and other random tidbits of parenting advice.” Deep down you’re excited, but you’re also thinking, “MOTHER, it’s so far away, why are you telling me about benefits of sleep training?”
- “Do you even exercise?” Your skinny aunt has always been competitive, just move on.
- “We’re so happy you made it!” You are too. Despite all the crazy interrogations, there is something so important about being home. And you love your family.
Family tends to judge, whether they mean to or not. One way you can really impress them is by looking your absolute best. Blues City Laundry is here for all your laundry needs. We’ll take care of all your laundry so all you have to worry about is making the perfect side dish.